Neuropeptide Selank is a synthetic derivative of the human body’s naturally produced tetrapeptide Tuftsin. It is a hexapeptide whith a wide range of uses. It was first sinthesized in the late 1990’s by the Institute of Molecular Genetics of the Russian Academy of Science. Selank is used as an anxiolytic in the therapy of anxiety and phobic disorders, including generalized anxiety. Its action is similar to that of mild benzodiazepins but without the sedative effects. As a selective anxiolytic with a nootropic component, Selank can be used as treatment of depression, fear and general anxiety. It also reduces phsychic tension. This neuropeptide has passed all phases of clinical trials and is now being prepared for registration and mass production.
Selank is closely related to Semax, a hexapeptide previously invented by the same institute. Some consider Selank to be a more efficient alternative to Semax – a drug currently approved for use in Russia and Ukraine. Both Selank and Semax seem to be less known in the western countries, due to the conflict of interest and subsequently lack of marketing efforts from the “big pharma” industry.
Selank as a nootropic
Recreationally Selank is used to improve one’s ability to focus and concentrate, reduce mental fatigue, increase mental sharpness and increase memory and learning capacity. The first noticeable effect is usually stabilization of mood and general feeling of well-being.
Selank as an antiviral agent
Selank neuropeptide also expresses immunomodulatory effects. In 2009 a study by F. Ershov et all. has evaluated antiviral properties of Selank both in vitro and in vivo against the influenza virus strain A/Aichi 2/68 (H3N2). The pronounced antiviral effect of Selank was detected in both systems. The highest efficiency – completely supressed viral reproduction was shown when Selank was added to the cell culture 24 hours before inoculation.
Experimental and clinical studies showed the following pharmaclogical effects of Selank:
- improvement of learning and memory processes (reference, reference)
- increased sensory attention
- increased curiosity
- increased mental clarity
- restoration of balance of serotonergic and noradrenergic brain system activity (reference)
- anti-anxiety – inhibition of anxiety (reference)
- antiviral activity with no negative effects (reference)
- psychostimulant, anti-asthenic – increased mental energy (reference)
- stabilization of mood and overall feeling of wellbeing
- reversal of anhedonia (restoring the feeling of pleasure)
- potential restoration of catecholaminergic system functions after damage due to drug abuse reference
Selank side effects
Selank has a low toxicity profile. An overdose of 500 times higher than the normal level has been proven harmless for humans. Large majority of researchers are reporting that it is a “side effect free” compound. Some believe an overdose might cause fatigue.
It’s always best to start with a low dose and gradually build up to your individual comfortable levels.
Research has shown that intranasal (nasal spray) delivery of Selank is rougly 9 times more effective than injectable. This is attributed to some of it being able to bypass the blood-brain barrier.
1. Selank as nasal spray or drops (more effective):
- duration: from 10 days to as long as needed
- dosage: between 400 mcg – 9 mg of Selank per day
- daily frequency:total daily dosage split into 3 doses throughout the day
2. Injectable Selank use (less effective):
- duration: from 10 days to as long as needed
- dosage: between 250 mcg – 3 mg per day
- frequency of injection:1 injection per day for low dose, 2 injections for higher dose (divided between morning and late afternoon injection)
Reconstituting (dissolving, mixing) the freeze dried Selank:
Plain sterile water for injection is the most suitable diluent for lyophilized Selank. Alternatively it can be reconstituted with bacteriostatic water (0.9% sodium chloride), normal saline (0.9% NaCl) or water containing 0.9% (9 mg/mL) of benzyl alcohol.
Freeze dried (lyophilized) Selank usually comes in 10 mg vials. Gently inject 1 to 2 ml of water into the vial. Let it sit in refrigerator for 10 – 15 minutes. If there are any undissolved particles left after 15 minutes, gently rotate the vial between your fingers until all of the powder has dissolved and you are left with clear liquid.
Selank produces systemic effect regardless of the injection spot. It can be injected subcutaneously (under the skin) or intramuscularly (into the muscle). People mostly inject it into the shoulder, tigh, buttocks or under the skin in the stomach fat area.
Preparing the Selank spray
Empty sprayer bottles can be found in local pharmacy stores or bought online (ebay, etc). If your local pharmacy doesn’t carry empty sprayers you could buy a generic nasal decongestant, discard the liquid and if the bottle is reusable, clean and reuse it.
Determining the correct dosage per spray can be tricky. Our solution was to put 3ml of water into the sprayer, then count the number of sprays while emptying it click by click. The following math is then done: total amount of mg in the selank vial divided by the total number of sprays results in how many mg’s there are per each spray.
Example: 5 mg (5000 mcg) of Selank in the vial is mixed with 1ml of water. 2 more ml of water are added to the sprayer – this makes a total of 3ml mixture which is 5mg strong. The 3ml of water results in 38 sprays (this varries from sprayer to sprayer). So the math is: 5000 mcg divided by 38 sprays = 131 mg of Selank per spray. If a person was to take 1mg (1000 mcg) per day, that would be roughly 2 sprays per nosdril, twice per day.
Proper storage of Selank:
If possible, always store both the freeze dried powder and the mixed solution in refrigerator (do not freeze).
Before mixing (lyophilized / freeze dried Epitalon powder):
- refrigerated between 2 – 8 degrees celsius (36 – 46 Fahrenheit) it can be used for 24 months
- at room temperature (up to 37 degrees Celsius or 98.6 Fahrenheit) it can be used for over 90 days
After reconstitution (liquid Selank):
- liquid Selank should be refrigerated between 2 – 8 degrees celsius (36 – 46 Fahrenheit) at all times. It should not be frozen.
- when in liquid form Selank should be used within 20 days